Request a Free MS WORD template here: State the page count (printed pages) and the size you’d like your completed book. Let us know the name of the program with which you are completing your manuscript as we can provide Indesign and Publisher templates too.
You can receive a FREE template to get you started. The template is a setup file that has a mirror binding edge and considerable margins to ensure your text sits close to the centre of the page when printed.
Always save your files in a safe place. Save several copies on several different devices, in a cloud-based application or on USBs.
Remember, clients using our services receive support. We will even .pdf your file for free with many applications.
How to Send Print-Ready Files from InDesign
Important notes before commencing to make print-ready:
You will need to check that you have the correct setting for black and your images converted to CMYK value. You will also need to verify that you have the proper margins appropriate for your file. Love of Books clients who have accepted our agreement can request a mini zip folder that contains some screenshots and basic guidelines for setting up InDesign files ready for print.
Note: If you don’t have the confidence to continue with your files to enable them to become print-ready, once you receive your basic zip kit you are welcome to utilise our designers for an hourly charge.
Ensure you have your file open if it is not already open.
Go to: FILE > ADOBE PDF PRESETS > select the Press Quality option.
A window will appear:
Use “SAVE AS”
Select the folder where you want to save your file.
Note: When you select SAVE AS, check that the “save as type:” is “ADOBE PDF”.
Another window will appear:
“EXPORT ADOBE PDF”
Click: OUTPUT> go to COLOUR CONVERSION> select NO COLOUR CONVERSION> go to PROFILE INCLUSION POLICY> select DON’T INCLUDE PROFILES
Then click: MARKS AND BLEEDS > tick the CROP MARKS and the BLEED MARKS boxes. Only if we ask you to supply the crop and bleed marks.
Note: After ticking the two boxes, ensure that the bleed is showing inside these boxes as between 3-5mm.
The file is now ready to be viewed.
How To Send Files To Your Angel Key Publications Designer
- Create a folder – name it (your book)
- Inside the folder, create other folders – Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc.
- Inside each folder, create another folder– one for IMAGES. Place all your images inside the images folder related to the relevant chapter.
– Be sure to name all files clearly and appropriately.
– If your book contains illustrations, ensure when saving into the IMAGES folder, they are labelled in order of page number. For example: “page 1”. If a page has more than one image on it, be sure that we can distinguish the differences. For example: “page 1 image 1” and “page 1 image 2”. ( Tip: Write the caption that is to appear with the image as the image file name also)
- To avoid confusion, check that you only send us the files that need to be printed in the book.
- HOT TIP: If you take time organising your documents and images when you first start to set up your file, you will save yourself and us a great deal of time. Being organised also means that there is less chance of data going missing or mistakenly used twice. It also makes our process quicker.
How To Send Images
- All images should be supplied at 300 dpi. Ideally, no less than 220 dpi.
- For full-colour printing, convert your images from RGB to CMYK using image editing software such as Photoshop. If you don’t have such a program remember all Love of Books, clients receive this service at a reduced cost.
Note: Your files will increase in size when you change them from RGB to CMYK. If you are unable to do this, please place the images in the appropriate Colour or Grey folders, and we will convert them for a small charge.
- For the best print quality, we recommend you supply all photographs and images at 300 dpi at the size they are to be printed. If you can only provide pictures at 72 dpi, they must be at least four times the size you want them to appear in your publication.
- Please supply images as either TIF, JPEG or EPS files and avoid files such as GIF, BITMAP and Internet pictures, as these formats are not high enough quality for printing.
- We are only able to reproduce your picture at the quality you provide – we cannot improve on the quality of your image. Be aware that lower resolution images can look good quality on-screen but may appear blurred when printed. To check the quality of your image, open it in your standard photo editing package.
- If you have taken your photo on a digital camera, please ensure the camera has been set on the highest quality setting. Do not downgrade the quality of the image before sending it to us.
- Resolution: If creating or using images in a program like Adobe Photoshop, your files should be at least 300 dpi at final print size. You can check this in Photoshop via the Image menu then the Image Size option.
If you are sending your file to us for completion as an Indesign package or as a final pdf:
When linking images, you mustn’t rename or move any linked files to another folder once they have been placed. Before supplying your document, ensure that all links are intact and that none have been unlinked.
We will supply you with a proof copy of your completed file, which you must check carefully for mistakes and alterations you wish to change.
Ensure that when you are checking your file after completion that you go through it thoroughly. When marking the mistakes and alterations, be sure that you send the itemised file alterations via email. You should do so this way:
For example, Page 61, line 23 – change ‘teh’ to ‘the.’
If we are making the corrections, we do allow for a limited amount of edits in your text, within the quoted cost of your design/formatting. However numerous and repeated editing changes are charged at an hourly rate.
- Ensure that all files are supplied and named correctly.
- Please include fonts that are to be used in your document with your sent file.
- Fonts may have several versions and can have slight differences that may cause problems such as re-flowing text and missing words.
- If you are supplying files in PDF format, ensure ALL FONTS ARE EMBEDDED when saving to this format.
- Supply a mock-up copy so that we can use it as a guide.
- Tag colour pages.
There are several choices with file sending:
- You can use our secure file send service
- Mail us your USB or cd
- Use Dropbox https://dropbox.com
- Use WeTransfer https://weTransfer.com is a cloud-based computer file transfer service.
To use our file send service, insert your email address in the email box. Then search for your file on your computer. Then click upload.
You can send up to 5 files at a time. If you are sending images or more than five files, please place them in a zip folder first. If you don’t know how to make a zip folder visit the extra notes below this file send box. You can always call us if you are still not sure.
You are creating a zip folder. Right-click on your desktop; go to new; go to Compressed zip folder. Now you can rename the folder and drag your images into it.